3rd Post

 A young Keith Richards best looks over the years | British GQ

   Here goes my third post! This one is about music. I love music... well at least the music I enjoy lol. My passion for music started with my Dad always listening to classic rock around me as I grew up. Whether he was playing CD's or tuning on the radio there was always classic rock in my ears. As I got older and received a phone I started collecting music on my own. In high school I downloaded Spotify and went down the rabbit whole of music. I started by looking through the albums of the bands I knew. The music lead me along an amazing path. Each band or genre lead me to another person with another song which was good. I started with great classic rock songs which lead me mainly to the blues and funk. When I say classic rock I do not mean ACDC and the three Journey songs that every white girl knows; I mean the Doors, the Rolling Stones, the Who, Dire straits, Steely Dan, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin, The Band, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Hendrix, David Bowie etc. There is a difference between rock and rock n roll. Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones puts it very well in his documentary Keith Richards: Under the Influence. He says that the big difference is that "rock" is like a white mans march with no bump or real soul feeling to it, where rock n roll has that groovy roll to it. The difference is soul. This soul is what makes it amazing to listen to music... when a singer like Janis Joplin yells out you can feel it. This soul is the blues, which is the basis of any good rock n roll song. All rock n roll really is is sped up and cranked up blues songs. That is essentially how the Rolling Stones started, by preforming old American blues songs which very little Americans even knew about. They seemed so knew and fresh but it was all just blues cranked all the way up. They understood Americas best export(the blues) better than most Americans did. They played the same old songs just louder and faster and the world went crazy. Once they became good enough they had the original blues guys play with them in many cases. These blues legends were like gods to them. The reverence they showed to these old black guys was better than how white people in America treated them even for years after. I just think it is interesting that not many people understand the link between classic rock and the blues. There is a lot more too it but the jist is you need soul not just a couple power chords. If you are interested go check out my playlist on spotify: Sabia music ... It has a lot of great songs of a lot of genres. Go check it out!! Thanks!

Comments